CAT | Easter Flower Cautions

Easter Lilies, Daffodils, and Azaleas…Oh My!

Wednesday, April 27th, 2011

With the spring and Easter holiday here, dog and cat owners should be aware that many household and landscape plants pose a severe health hazard to their pets.
 
The toxin in Easter lilies (Lilium longiflorum), is so potent that just one ingested leaf or flower poses a risk of kidney failure and ultimately, death.  Symptoms can start within a couple hours after ingestion, beginning with vomiting, depression and loss of appetite.  Kidney failure follows about 48 hours later.
 
If you suspect that your cat has ingested Easter lily flowers or leaves, your pet should be taken to the hospital immediately to initiate therapy. Time is of essence and will determine the outcome.  If hospitalization with supportive therapy is started before kidney failure begins, the odds of recovery are much better.   Easter lilies are not known to be toxic to dogs.
 
Daffodils (Narcissus), a member of the lily family, are extremely toxic to dogs and cats.  All parts of the plant are toxic, with the bulb containing the most concentrated toxins. Just one bulb can be lethal!
 
Symptoms can start as soon as 15 minutes after ingestion, and include vomiting, diarrhea, severe weakness, salivation, and even collapse. Treatment must be initiated as soon as possible.
 
Azaleas are a member of the Rhododendron family, and are toxic to both dogs and cats. Signs of toxicity can become evident just hours after ingestion and include vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, drooling, and in extreme cases collapse. 
 
A complete list of toxic plants can be viewed here:
 
http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/Plants.aspx
 
A safe and happy Easter to all of our clients and patients!