Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs

0 Comments Posted by admin in Uncategorized on Monday, October 31st, 2011.

Many of us have heard that chocolate is a no-no for our dogs and can be toxic. If you’re wondering what that means for our furry friends when they indulge while we’re not watching and when to be alarmed, then here’s the scoop…

What makes chocolate toxic to dogs?
While fat and sugar in chocolate can cause upset stomach, it is the compound Theobromine which can cause more serious and even life threatening side effects. Theobromine is most concentrated in baking chocolate, making this type of chocolate the worst for pets, followed by semisweet and dark chocolate. Milk chocolate has a lower concentration of Theobromine, followed by chocolate flavored treats being the least likely to cause chocolate toxicity.

Clinical signs of Chocolate Toxicity include:

Vomiting
Diarrhea
Hyperactivity
Tremors
Seizures
Racing heart rhythm progressing to abnormal rhythms
Death in severe cases
Treatment

There is no specific antidote for Theobromine. If chocolate toxicity is suspected, call your veterinarian immediately for treatment recommendations. If the chocolate was just eaten within 2 hours, your veterinarian may suggest inducing vomiting. If more time has passed, hospitalization and supportive treatment is likely needed until the chocolate has worked its way out of the system, which can take several days.

(From VeterinaryParnter.com) Here is a helpful chart to guide you


Number of OUNCES of CHOCOLATE a Pet Would Need to Ingest for TOXICITY
 
Weight of Pet
in Pounds
5 10 15 20 25 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
                           
Milk Chocolate
(ounces)
2 4 6 8.2 10.2 12.3 16.4 20.5 24.5 28.6 32.7 36.8 41
Dark Chocolate
(ounces)
0.7 1.4 2.1 2.8 3.5 4.2 5.5 6.9 8.3 9.7 11 12.5 13.8
Baking Chocolate
(ounces)
0.23 0.5 0.7 0.9 1.2 1.4 1.9 2.3 2.8 3.2 3.7 4.1 4.6

 A safe and happy holiday season from All Creatures Veterinary Care Center!

No comments yet.

Leave a comment!

«

»